Want a comfort food breakfast that’s different from the usual Saturday breakfast food? Try stuffing your french toast with something!
We had a big family breakfast this weekend for Easter and my husband and I were in charge of making two dishes. He made eggs benedict (which I should really blog one day as he describes his benedict sauce as “the best I’ve ever tasted”) and I made my first attempt of stuffing bread with sweet goodness.
Here’s what I did it:
- Cut a loaf of French Bread into thick slices
- Cut a hole in the bread from on of the sides
- Fill with about a teaspoon of cream cheese (I used light strawberry) and about a Tbsp berries (I used strawberries.) I would recommend previously frozen berries, drained and slightly mashed.
- Dip the bread into a mixture of 4 eggs and 1/2 cup milk
- Fry the bread for about four minutes on either side. I fried mine on an oiled griddle with the temp set to 350 or so
- Put the bread in a slightly heated oven until breakfast is ready
- Take bread out and sprinkle with icing sugar.
In the mood for something even sweeter? Put a couple milk chocolate chips inside the bread before frying. Or change it up by trying other fruit besides berries — bananas? Someone at breakfast even suggested stuffing the bread with other breakfasty food, like bacon an eggs (not sure if I’d do that)