My husband and I had about 15 minutes to cook dinner the other night as we were running late (as usual!) In the fridge was some extra-lean hamburger thawing from the evening before. Now, most people know what hamburger + time crunch equals. But, neither of us felt like we wanted that bland spaghetti dinner we remembered having many, many times during university. Luckily, there are some quick fixes which you can do while your meat is frying and your pasta is boiling that won’t add any time to your “I need this done in 15 minutes!” statement.
Eight quick fixes for boring pasta:
- Mix up the meat: sausage, ground turkey, chicken, tuna, bacon, shrimp, or a combination
- Get those veggies: mushrooms, peppers, onion, spinach, or other tasty veggie
- Spice it up (my favorites to add: oregano, red pepper flakes, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, parsley, basil, and/or pepper)
- Cheese: put some grated cheddar cheese, Parmesan, or Romano cheese on the table or sprinkled through the dish.
- Use something other than plain white spaghetti: go whole wheat and try different shapes, for example fusilli, penne, or farfalle.
- Try canned beans or chick peas (both drained and rinsed)
- Open a bottle of pesto or Alfredo instead of spaghetti sauce and choose accompanying veggies and meat accordingly.
- Uncork that wine bottle.
Our 15 minute meal:
Any tips to add to my eight? We would love to hear them!