Mondays are usually potluck day with some friends from church. Mondays are also crazy stressful as far as life/job stuff goes. This is why I need some go-to recipes that are both fast and fancy (and, in this case, healthy!) Here’s what I did for tonight’s dinner:
- take a couple tablespoons of butter and melt it in a pot, add a chopped onion and a stalk or two of chopped celery. Saute.
- Add about 8 cups of broccoli florets and about 3 cups of chicken broth (vegetable broth if you are keeping this meal vegetarian)
- Simmer for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile in another pot, melt another Tbsp of butter and stir in 3Tbsp of flour. Add 2 cups of milk slowly and heat until thick. I use skim milk.
- Blend broccoli mixture (only half if you want some to be chunky) in blender.
- Combine broccoli mixture to milk mixture.
- Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, oregano, thyme, or whatever else tastes good to you.
- Garnish with sharp cheddar or paprika.
Et voila! Who knew homemade soup could be this easy?!