This year for Christmas I gave my soup in dry ingredient form to a couple close friends and family. It not only looked pretty, but was healthy, easy to make, and very versatile. As with all great gifts, I kept one for myself to use when I’m in a lazy mood. Having used it already only two weeks after Christmas, I’m thinking I should have made a couple more for myself! Here are the ingredients for all of you home-made-gifter kind of people.
Ingredients to put in Jar
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules (make sure the ones you use are not very salty.)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp onion flakes
- 1/3 cup uncooked rice
- 1/3 cup red lentils
- 1/3 cup barley
- 1/3 cup green lentils
- Fill up the jar with pasta (in a bag so that it can be added later)
What they need to add
Bring 2 teaspoons butter or margarine and 9 cups water to a boil. Add contents in jar, except pasta. Add 1/4 cup chopped celery, carrot, or onion (optional), 1 cup cubed cooked chicken (optional) and additional spices (optional) suggestions: red pepper flakes, basil, salt, and/or oregano. Simmer 45 minutes. Add pasta and simmer until done.